Burning to CD or USB
DOWNLOAD AND BURN THE OBLITERASE ISO
- Obliterase is both an operating system and erasure technology. Because it is an operating system, you cannot simply "copy" it to CD or USB - it must be "burned"
- For more information about CD image burning tools, go to imgburn. For more information about USB burning tools, go to unetbootin. Both are free tools we have found to be effective.
- Download the Obliterase ISO from your account or from the Obliterase plug-in. Save the application to a folder or directory of your choice. You are downloading an ISO image which is a Linux based operating system that has Obliterase erasure technology embedded within it.
- Once the application is downloaded, you must BURN the ISO image to CD or USB using burning software of your choice. Copying the image to CD will not work. Obliterase will not run from DVD format, so make sure to use CD-ROM or USB thumb drive. If you burn to USB, you must select Fedora version of Linux.
and finally, use obliterase for spiceworks
- Once you have burned the Obliterase ISO image, proceed to the "Target" tab of the Obliterase Plugin to "target" a device for erasure.
- On the Target tab, you will select a computer device to target for erasure. By targeting a device, you are authorizing the Obliterase software to operate on that device. Obliterase for Spiceworks will not run on a device that has not been targeted for erasure. The device will not authenticate against your target list and cannot proceed until the device is on the target list.
- From the "Select target(s) to erase or decommission" drop down, select a device to add to the target list. The drop down will only display a limited number of devices from your network. If the device you want to target is not on the list, you can enter the name of the device into this search field and select from the list of found devices that match your search criteria. HINT: You can also add devices to the Target tab at the device level. At the device level, select the tools drop down (represented by a wrench) and select Obliterase. The device is automatically added to the Target tab.
- Go to the actual targeted device and re-boot the device using the CD or USB with the Obliterase ISO burned to it. You must interrupt the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the CD or USB.
- Once the application launches, the Obliterase ISO operating system will install in memory. The device must have internet access for Obliterase to communicate with Spiceworks.
- Upon loading, Obliterase will contact the Spiceworks plugin to authenticate whether the device has been targeted. Upon authentication, you can proceed by agreeing to the Obliterase License Agreement. If the device is not targeted in the plugin, you cannot proceed.
- Upon agreeing to the License Agreement, Obliterase will interrogate the device's BIOS and complete an inventory report of the device. Storage devices will be displayed (HDD's and USB drives).
- Select the Algorithm you would like to run from the drop down menu.
- Select the storage device(s) you would like to erase on the target device. You can select all storage devices, or select only specific storage devices. NOTE: The duration of the erasure will depend on the CPU of the target device, the size of the storage devices selected, and the algorithm selected.
- Once the algorithm and storage devices have been selected, click continue to proceed with the erasure. You will be provided a confirmation screen of your selected algorithm and storage devices. Click "change" if you wish to change your selection, or ERASE if you are ready to proceed.
- Choosing ERASE will generate a pop-up window with a CONFIRM ERASURE request. You are notified that if you proceed, you understand that ALL data will be permanently erased from the selected storage devices.
- During the erasure, Obliterase provides visual display of progress on the target device screen. Additionally, the targeted device will now appear on the Status tab of the plugin.
- Upon completion, Obliterase provides visual display of success or failure. The final screen provides three tabs for viewing the Inventory report, the erasure report, and a Hex viewer to view the first and last sectors of each storage device that was erased.
- Check the Target tab of the plugin. Upon a successful erasure, the target device is removed from the Target tab as it is no longer a target.
- Check the Status tab of the plugin for the device. There you will find the status of the erasure as well as the details of the erasure. Click the "Certificate of Erasure" link to access the Certificate of Erasure document.
May Obliterase be with you.